Covenant Family Solutions is seeking a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to support our Medication Management team. This role serves to provide support for patients with mental health needs ages five years and older. The LPN will assist with the coordination of care for patients/families experiencing mental health challenges. The purpose of this role is to enhance the overall medical care of the patient by operating as the primary liaison between the patient and the prescribing clinicians.
- Graduate of an accredited program for Licensed Practical Nurses.
- Current license to practice nursing in the State of Iowa for Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Previous clinical experience in a medical office preferred.
- Computer data entry experience.
- Experience with community development practice and/or crisis/trauma counseling
- Prior experience within the mental health field preferred.
- Experience with mental health illnesses, behavioral issues, psychosis, anger management and drug/alcohol issues
- Experience managing response to crisis situations and experience working as part of a case management support team
- Ability to work with patients and families of varied ages and diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work within and assist others in navigating through complex systems; understanding of treatment programs, mental health terminology, including diagnostic categories; knowledge of privacy guidelines and ability to communicate difficult/sensitive information.
- Provide support for patient’s experiencing mental illness. This includes but is not limited to communicating/collaborating with other services within the organization, providing information to community mental health resources/specialized treatment programs, hospitalizations and discharge planning.
- Coordinate transitions and support to ensure the necessary supports are in place for patients and their families. Support includes collecting and reviewing all facts pertaining to the patient’s situation and reviewing with prescribing clinician and making appropriate referrals given the situation.
- Support prescribing clinicians with communicating with other current services the patient may have to provide individualized compressive care. Such as collaboration with PCP, therapist, Neurologist, DHS, JCO, ect.
- Triage client calls, respond to emails, voicemail messages, and faxes
- Maintains and file patients’ records, review/update clinical documentation including miscellaneous correspondence and paperwork such as FMLA documents, medication list, prior authorizations etc.
- Schedules client appointments and meetings with medical representatives.
- Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
- Demonstrate the knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Behave in a manner consistent with all Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Responds to patient/caregivers’ refill requests and assists with appointment scheduling when needed.
- Verify insurance information and assist with collecting/monitoring patient balances.
- Must be able to act with a considerable degree of autonomy in the identification and case management of patients and their family members adhering to institutional policies and provincial privacy law.
- Poor professional judgment or practice by the case manager could be extremely detrimental to patients’ wellbeing and create situations of legal liability for the clinician/organization.
- Accept and utilize Covenant Family Solutions’ mission as a guideline for delivering services.
- When communicating with people outside the company, represent the company well to potential patients, referral sources, the public, and other external sources.
- Communicate closely with patients and prescribers. Must be a responsible, caring individual with a commitment to high quality patient care.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to patients, prescribing clinicians and other disciplinary services within Covenant Family Solutions in ways that build trust and confidence.
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationship develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintain them over time.
- Maintains professional boundaries with patients, families, other organization employees, and other agencies in the area.
- Work effectively in a team care model.
- Be able to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information/processes within the organization.
- Have the ability to cope under stressful situations, manage frequent interruptions, and handle complex assignments.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Maintain professionalism by dressing and presenting self appropriately.
- Be able to identify areas for improvement as indicated, make recommendations for change and participate in review and revision of systems and protocols as appropriate.
Documentation and Communication
- Maintain accurate documentation within the patients’ health care record and provide clear and concise information to the prescribing clinician.
- Engage in ongoing monitoring and evaluation of practices, systems and processes that impact individual’s mental healthcare.
Works within a model of collective consultation and collaboration, under the direction of the Clinic Nurse Manager and within the organization policies and procedures.