Covenant Family Solutions is seeking a Psychiatric Clinic Nurse to join our Marion office. The clinic nurse provides nursing care for patients with mental health needs, ages five years and older. He/she assists with the coordination of care for patients and families experiencing mental health challenges.
The purpose of this role is to enhance the overall medical care as the primary liaison between the patient and the prescribing clinicians. The ideal candidate would have at least one year psychiatric experience. If this describes you and you are looking to be part of an amazing company that is passionate about making a difference in individuals’ lives, then Covenant is the place for you.
- Registered nurse — Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience with community development practice and/or crisis/trauma counseling.
- Prior experience within the mental health field.
- Experience with mental health illnesses, behavioral issues, psychosis, anger management and drug/alcohol issues.
- Experience managing response to crisis situations and working as part of a case management support team.
- Ability to work with patients and families of various ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work within and assist others in navigating through complex systems; understanding of treatment programs, mental health terminology, including diagnostic categories; knowledge of privacy guidelines and ability to communicate difficult/sensitive information.
- Deliver outstanding clinical/nursing care for persons with mental illness and substance use disorders this includes but is not limited to communicating/collaborating with other services within the organization, providing information to community mental health resources/specialized treatment programs, hospitalizations and discharge planning.
- Support the clinical functions of the medical team (completing all medical orders and communicating vital patient care information to clinician/prescriber).
- Perform nursing interventions for which an RN has been trained to do.
- Observe, identify and monitor condition of patient, including changes in symptoms, and relates same to appropriate members of the treatment team.
- Coordinate transitions and support to ensure the necessary supports are in place for patients and their families. Support includes collecting and reviewing all facts pertaining to the patient’s situation and reviewing with prescribing clinician and making appropriate referrals given the situation.
- Support prescribing clinicians with communicating with other current services the patient may have to provide individualized compressive care. Such as collaboration with PCP, therapist, Neurologist, DHS, JCO, etc.
- Triage client calls, respond to emails, voicemail messages, and faxes.
- Maintains and file patients’ records, review/update clinical documentation including miscellaneous correspondence and paperwork such as FMLA documents, medication list, prior authorizations etc.
- Schedules client appointments and meetings with medical representatives.
- Dispense sample medications, maintain accurate logs on all medications received and dispensed.
- Respond to patient/caregivers’ refill requests and assists with appointment scheduling when needed.
- Stay current with knowledge, concepts, practices and skills appropriate for the psychiatric/mental health nursing specialty.
- Verify insurance information and assist with collecting/monitoring patient balances.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to act with a considerable degree of autonomy in the identification and case management of patients and their family members adhering to institutional policies and provincial privacy law.
- Accept and utilize Covenant Family Solutions’ mission as a guideline for delivering services.
- When communicating with people outside the company, represent the company well to potential patients, referral sources, the public, and other external sources.
- Communicate closely with patients and prescribers. Must be a responsible, caring individual with a commitment to high quality patient care.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to patients, prescribing clinicians and other disciplinary services within Covenant Family Solutions in ways that build trust and confidence.
- Establish and maintain interpersonal relationship – develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintain them over time.
- Maintains professional boundaries with patients, families, other organization employees, and other agencies in the area.
- Work effectively in a team care model.
- Be able to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information/processes within the organization.
- Have the ability to cope under stressful situations, manage frequent interruptions, and handle complex assignments.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Maintain professionalism by dressing and presenting self appropriately.
- Be able to identify areas for improvement as indicated, make recommendations for change and participate in review and revision of systems and protocols as appropriate.
The clinic nurse works within a model of collective consultation and collaboration under the direction of the prescribing clinicians within the organization policies and procedures.
Shifts are 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday with some flexibility. No weekends or Major Holidays.