Many women struggle with positive self-esteem and often voice a desire to increase their self-esteem. If you are struggling with yours, you are part of a pretty big club…
Self-esteem is a person’s confidence in their own worth, how we value ourselves, how we perceive our value to the world, and how valuable we think we are to others. It is not only seen as a basic part of mental health, but also a protective factor that contributes to better health and positive social behavior. Self-esteem can serve the role of a buffer against the impact of negative influences. It helps us respond positively to achievements and successes, feel satisfied with ourselves, and cope with difficult situations in a positive way.
Positive self-esteem gives you:
- Courage to try new things,
- Power to believe in yourself, and
- Confidence to make healthy choices for your mind and body — now and throughout your life.
You may be wondering: If self-esteem is so important, how can I build mine? We’ll discuss the building blocks in the video below.
Ways to Build your self-esteem
- STOP listening to your inner critic. This is the voice that says, “you’re worthless,” “you’re fat,” “why can’t you be like other people?”
- Practice self-compassion. The cure for self-criticism in many ways is self-compassion. Try treating yourself like a friend.
- Stop comparing yourself to others and set individual, and realistic goals. The competitive culture we live in tells us we need to be special and above average to feel good about ourselves.
- Do something meaningful. We tend to feel good about ourselves when we do something new or help others.
- Fully engage with those you love. Feeling loved and supported while being able to offer love and support in return is a wonderful way to start increasing self-esteem.
- Learn to value and care for your mind and body through a healthy lifestyle. Nutritious meals, exercise, and meditation can be the first stepping stones in reclaiming your physical and emotional confidence.
If you are feeling stuck or like you just can’t feel good about yourself, please know that you are a good person. You deserve to feel confident in who you are. We at Covenant Family Solutions are here to help you overcome the roadblocks in your way. Please reach out if you want to talk.